Did you know that the health of your mouth is important to your overall wellbeing? Keeping your mouth clean and healthy helps keep the rest of your body healthy as well. What’s more, a healthy smile makes a good impression on other people and makes you feel more confident. It’s not too hard to achieve, either! Here, we offer some helpful tips for a healthier smile.
- Brush and floss every day. According to the American Dental Association, brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once a day are important steps in keeping your mouth healthy. You should use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste to brush for two minutes, remembering to brush your tongue as well. Floss between your teeth to remove particles and plaque left behind by your toothbrush.
- Use a therapeutic mouthwash. Rinsing after you’ve brushed and flossed can do more than just freshen your breath. When you rinse for 30-60 seconds at least once a day, you’ll kill bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet. Healthy fruits and vegetables should be the focus of your diet, because they’ll help promote healthy teeth and gums. When you do occasionally indulge in a sweet, sugary food or beverage, be sure to brush your teeth immediately to remove excess sugar from your teeth.
- Don’t smoke! If you do smoke, quit. Smoking is detrimental to every system in your body, and it’s particularly bad for your oral health. The nicotine and tar in cigarettes erode your gums as well as turning your teeth yellow, and smoking creates a welcoming environment for bacteria and plaque. What’s more, it impairs your immune system, making it harder to fight gum disease and infections. It can even increase your risk of bone loss.
- See your dentist regularly. When you’re trying to keep your mouth as healthy as possible, routine oral health exams are extremely important. A general dental appointment every six months is recommended by most dental professionals because this allows your dentist to examine your mouth and catch potential issues early, before they become major problems. At this twice-a-year appointment, the hygienist can professionally clean your teeth and gums, removing any plaque or tartar and polishing your teeth to brighten your smile.
Scheduling regular dental appointments is at the heart of keeping your teeth and gums healthy, and if you’re looking for dentistry services in Chicago, you can have confidence in the team at University Associates in Dentistry. We offer complete dental care at our all-in-one practice, from regular cleanings and routine treatment to complex specialty care and cosmetic dentistry. You can make a dentist appointment in Chicago by calling (312) 704-5511, or visit our website for more information or to set up a complimentary consultation.