Eat Your Vitamins and Minerals
Your teeth are directly affected by the vitamins and minerals absorbed into your body. Below is a list of some of the most common vitamins and minerals and how they affect your teeth:
- Calcium – helps build and strengthen our bones while also providing structural support and protecting our tooth enamel. (eat: cheese, broccoli, and salmon)
- Phosphorus – helps to protect and rebuild tooth enamel. They support calcium when it comes to building strong bones and teeth. (eat: tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and avocados)
- Potassium (and magnesium) – helps our teeth and bones to use calcium more efficiently. Potassium also helps the body to regulate its blood acidity. When our blood becomes too acidic, acids can remove calcium from our teeth and jawbone, weakening them. (eat: meat, poultry, fish, and eggs)
- Vitamin A – helps our bodies absorb and take in calcium and protein while also keeping mucous membranes healthy, which protects your teeth and gums. Vitamin A also prevents dry mouth, which helps your mouth heal quicker and reduces bad breath). (eat: fish, egg yolks, spinach, kale, and carrots)
- Vitamin C – strengthens our gums as well as the soft tissue in our mouths. It can protect against gingivitis and can also prevent our teeth from loosening. (eat: citrus fruits, potatoes, and leafy greens)
- Vitamin D – helps our bodies to absorb calcium and also boosts bone mineral density. (expose yourself to natural sunlight!)
- Vitamin K2 – is a type of protein that works along with Vitamin D to move calcium out of soft tissue and your bloodstream and into your teeth and bones. It is essential as it helps to block substances that break down bone. (eat: leafy greens, kale, and broccoli)
One of the best ways to keep your teeth healthy is by scheduling regular dental appointments. Whether you need a general dentist in Chicago or are seeking special cosmetic dentistry services, we will be happy to assist you. UAD’s customer service is second to none! Please get in touch with us to schedule a free consult by clicking here or giving us a call.
University Associates in Dentistry’s phone number – (312) 704-5511
Our dental office in downtown Chicago is located at 222 N LaSalle St.