CEREC is to dental restorations what fire was to cavemen. This advanced technology opens up incredible opportunities for patients with cavities or a less-than-perfect smile. If your dentist offers CEREC in his or her office, you can receive your dental restorations in just one appointment—no more waiting for impressions to be sent to an off-site lab. CEREC has applications for both cosmetic and general dentistry.
CEREC is an acronym for chairside economical restorations of esthetic ceramic .
- Chairside: The fabrication of the restoration is done in-office, while the patient is in the treatment room.
- Economical: It’s cost-effective dental technology for patients.
- Restorations: CEREC restores your teeth to its full strength and function. CEREC also restores the beauty of a natural smile.
- Esthetic: CEREC restorations are never made from silver amalgam, like traditional fillings. They are tooth-colored for a more pleasing appearance.
- Ceramic: CEREC restorations are made from high-strength ceramic to mimic the composition of a natural tooth.
CEREC is incredibly innovative technology. Surprisingly, many dentists still don’t offer this service. CEREC has also proven to be tough to improve upon. It’s still the only chairside CAD/CAM restoration system available for dental practices.
The CEREC system includes a medical-grade computer and a special camera. After your dentist has prepared your tooth for its restoration, he or she takes a picture of it with the camera. This replaces the conventional dental impression. The computer uses the picture to create a 3D model of the tooth, which your dentist can refine before sending the information to the milling unit.
CEREC technology is known for producing flawless dental crowns, but it can also give patients new onlays and veneers—all in just one visit! Patients commonly need dental crowns after undergoing a root canal. They’re also used to cap permanent dental implants. Dental onlays are useful when the dentist needs to remove an old filling, either for functional or aesthetic reasons. Lastly, CEREC can fabricate beautiful dental veneers, which are thin facades that bond to the visible sides of the teeth. Veneers can cover up a range of imperfections—from stubborn stains to chips and cracks.
You’ll find the latest advances in dental technology at University Associates in Dentistry. During your dental consultation in our Chicago office, we’ll discuss whether CEREC, laser dentistry, digital x-rays, or CT scans could benefit your oral health. Get in touch at (312) 704-5511.